RSS

Loving my Montrail Rock Shoes

AAO Filed Under:
I am so loving my new Montrail Rock shoes. Having the CTX moldability is great seeing as I have broken my 5th metatarsal on my right foot five or so times so getting a good fit that doesn't kill me is awesome!!
The Magnets were a bit of a surprise. I tried on the Wasabi's at OR and told them that I was taking them with me. I'd been climbing in them a fair bit in the past couple of months, and hadn't had any issues with the velcro-which apparently "WAS" a problem that they have already addressed for those with experience in that unfortunate situation. Mine had no issues.
I found myself out at Redrocks Rendezvous, which I highly reccomend that any and all attend if they can make the time, with an opportunity to try the Magnets and I was blown away. They are a little stiffer, with more support in the forefoot, and the lacing allows one to really "crank" down on them for a super precise fit.

The Wasabi's are likely my favorite bouldering/gym shoe, as they are easy on and off and seem to be molded to fit even without having baked them in the oven to maximize the fit like I have with my Magnets and Methods. The heel fit on ALL the montrail rock shoes is really beyond comparison. Having been the FiveTen Rep for a couple of years, and knowing full well the quality of the rubber-especially their new Onyx, I have to say that Montrail is not far off in the fricition coefficient category and for me the fit of the shoe all around likely makes up the difference. Oh, and then there is the cost differential. Wasabi's and Magnets under $100. Wasabi's and Magnets resoled with Onyx-doesn't even sound fair!!!!


The Index was kind of a surprise for an $80 shoe. Working as part of the Montrail team I of course have taken it upon myself to try and use each and every montrail shoe in its designed application-no matter how many hours or days out and about it takes to get that done. So, the Index was certainly a surprise. The rubber is a little more dense and was a great edging shoe, even on little nubbins, and I think it would make it a great all day shoe as well, as the last is stiff enough to make standing in them all day seem possible, as I would never say ideal about standing all day in rock shoes. What is especially cool about these shoes is the immediate ability to adjust volume with the two different slots available to feed the velcro tab through. This was great for me, as I could thread it through the wider of the two and throw on a light sock for alpine climbs, or crank it down on the narrower loop for my B width feet. Realistically it was just a plus for my friend to be able to borrow some shoes without worrying about him stretching them out with his E+ width feet. Yes it is a synthetic, but having owned MANY pair of rock shoes, many of them synthetic, I will tell you that regardless of what anyone says even synthetics stretch a quarter to a half size over time.

So, yeah, I am just really stoked about what Montrail is doing with their rock Shoe Program and am excited to climb in their new Smithers Shoe that will be out for Spring 07. More training for the Leadville 100 this fall-which trail shoes to use??? Brian Block Posted by Picasa

edit post

0 Responses to "Loving my Montrail Rock Shoes"

...stories of perilous, nay, endless traveling in the ever changing midwest territory...